Singapore-Commonwealth third country training programme: disaster management course
The programme is designed to train senior public officials mainly drawn from disaster management agencies and other institutions with the responsibility for supporting disaster risk reduction and disaster management within the Commonwealth so as to enhance their capabilities.
Participants to the programme will also acquire a strategic overview of Singapore's approach towards disaster management in addition to sharing of skills among themselves.
The programme will also address emergency response and incident management at both tactical and operational levels. It will provide a wide-ranging discourse on issues and challenges facing the emergency authorities in disaster management at National/local levels.
At the end of the programme participants will have:
- deepened their understanding of the principle and approaches relating to risk, crisis and disaster management, whilst appreciating the range of tactical and operational roles undertaken by government agencies in disaster management;
- shared experience of best practices and learning in the areas of risk reduction and management;
- explored the application of technologies to increase information efficiency and strengthen command and control capability;
- acquired an in-depth knowledge of the exercise methodology used to validate operational concepts; and;
- built their strengths in promoting the mainstreaming and integration of disaster risk reduction and management in developing policies and strategies within the commonwealth.
- Policy and legislative frameworks for effective risk reduction and management (building codes etc)
- Preparedness and early warning systems
- Risk and disaster management
- Risk reduction and mitigation measures
- Contingency and continuity planning
- Roles of government agencies, international organisations and NGOs
- Singapore CW Disaster Mgt Course May 2009 - brochure (Final).doc 3
- Role of and application of technologies
- Critical incident stress management
- Information and media management
- Planning and conduct of exercise.