This report was prepared by the Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission for the National Diet of Japan. It investigates the circumstances and causes of the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident in 2011.
The Commission was given the mandate:
- To investigate the direct and indirect causes of the Tokyo Electric Power Company Fukushima nuclear power plant accident that occurred on March 11, 2011 in conjunction with the Great East Japan Earthquake.
- To investigate the direct and indirect causes of the damage sustained from the above accident.
- To investigate and verify the emergency response to both the accident and the consequential damage; to verify the sequence of events and actions taken; to assess the effectiveness of the emergency response.
- To investigate the history of decisions and approval processes regarding existing nuclear policies and other related matters.
- To recommend measures to prevent nuclear accidents and any consequential damage based on the findings of the above investigations. The recommendations shall include assessments of essential nuclear policies and the structure of related administrative organizations.
- To conduct the necessary administrative functions necessary for carrying out the above activities.