This paper presents German views on disaster risk management for sustainable development. It contains a section on linking theory and practice, which covers risk analysis, disaster preparedness, disaster prevention and mitigation, and aid and reconstruction. Supporting case studies from several countries are provided.
The German Government's framework for action on disaster reduction involves:
- Application-oriented implementation of the research results of specialist academic institutions on disaster prevention
- Strengthening national and international disaster reduction committees
- Development of intersectoral disaster reduction networks
- Support for training and education measures at schools, universities and in adult education
- Establishment of international coordination agencies for early warning of flooding, fire etc.
- Participation in shaping and formulating UN disaster reduction policy.