Post-disaster needs assessments guidelines: Volume B - Governance
The main purpose of this chapter is to provide general guidance on conducting needs assessment and recovery planning for core government functions within the context of a PDNA. Guidance on specific governance assessments under each sub sector is provided in the corresponding chapters. Additional details on the conceptual framework defining core government functions are presented in Section 2.
This chapter proposes an integrated approach to the PDNA, elaborating on the recovery needs of institutions that contribute to delivering core government functions. A strong emphasis is put on ensuring that these institutions are capable of achieving a strong national ownership over all aspects of the post-disaster recovery phase.
The chapter describes the six steps for the formulation of the Recovery Strategy (RS):
1) Providing sector overview and pre-disaster baseline;
2) Assessing disaster effects;
3) Presenting macroeconomic and human development impact;
4) Determining recovery needs, including needs for Building Back Better (BBB) approaches;
5) Formulating recovery strategy and action plan;
6) Estimating recovery costs.
This volume of the Post Disaster Needs Assessment Guidelines is available in English, French, and Russian.