Recovery Researcher, International Recovery Platform
This job posting has closed
General Incorporated Foundation
Asian Disaster Reduction Center
Application Guidelines for Researcher Post
- Job title: Researcher
- Duties and Responsibilities:
The researcher will work at the Secretariat for the International Recovery Platform (IRP) and will perform the following duties:
- Contribute to the knowledge-management related work of IRP, including review and analysis of disaster recovery literature, and documentation of key data and evidence.
- Contribute substantively to knowledge product development, which may include planning, drafting, editing, and finalization of project deliverables and communication materials, coordination with external partners.
- Conduct original research on topics relating to post-disaster recovery, as guided by the IRP workplan and Steering Committee
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of IRP Secretariat functions, including responses to technical requests, annual reporting, and preparation for the IRP Steering Committee meetings, etc.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of the annual International Recovery Forum, and IRP Secretariat's engagement in workshops and conferences.
- Represent IRP Secretariat in international forums, and public engagements when appropriate.
- Number of researchers to be hired: One
- Advanced university degree (master's degree or higher) in disaster risk reduction and management, public policy, economics, or a related field. PhD degree is preferable.
- At least three years of practical work experience in a related area
- Published a thesis, article, research report in a related area.
- Ability to use a personal computer and standard applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail applications, etc.)
- Ability to perform duties in English
From 1 April, 2023 to March 31, 2024.
* Thereafter, the employment shall be renewed automatically for a further term of one year, unless either party gives the other party a notice of non-renewal at least 30 days prior to the expiration of any renewed term of the employment. (Annual contract is eligible for renewal up to 4 times, until the end of March 2028)
- Job title: Researcher, Asian Disaster Reduction Center/International Recovery Platform Secretariat
- Regular working hours: Monday to Friday, from 9:00 to 17:30
(12:00-13:00 break hour)
- Holidays: As a general rule, holidays are Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays in Japan, and year-end and New Year holidays (29-31 December and 2-3 January) and other holidays designated by the Center.
- Leave: 20 annual paid leave days for the period from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024
- Salary, etc.
- Base salary - JPY 257,500 per month
- Bonuses: Will be paid in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Center.
- Commuting allowance and housing allowance: Will be paid in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Center.
- Social insurance: Health insurance, employees' pension plan, unemployment insurance, workers' compensation insurance, etc.
- There are no retirement allowances, nor periodical salary increases for this post.
- Salary payment method: Paid on the 20th of each month (for that month's salary).
International Recovery Platform (IRP) Secretariat
DRI East 5 F, 1-5-2 Wakinohama Kaigan-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo-ken, Japan
The following application documents must be received by the Center by post or via e-mail no later than Wednesday 30 November 2022:
Curriculum vitae (with photo), employment history (including research achievements if any), a brief motivation statement for applying for this post (400-800 words in English), list of publications, with at least one copy of article/thesis/report in relevant area (written in English). A copy of document to prove English proficiency (Eiken, TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) is also required for applicants who are not a native speaker of English.
(The application documents can be in either Japanese or English, except for the ones that are specifically requested to be in English above.)
Primary Screening: Assessment of the submitted application documents.
Secondary Screening: For the successful candidates of the above Primary Screening, a written test and an interview (in English) will be conducted in the period from December 2022 to January 2023.
How to apply:
- Via postal mail:
Attention to: Senior Administrative Manager, General Incorporated Foundation Asian Disaster Reduction Center
DRI East 5F, 1-5-2 Wakinohama Kaigan-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe 651-0073 Japan
- Via email:
Applicants should use the following subject line when submitting their application: Application for Researcher Position
Contact for inquiries
*Inquiries are accepted only by emails. (Please refrain from making inquiries by telephone.)
- For inquiries regarding employment conditions, etc. : mh-horiike(at)adrc.asia
- For inquiries regarding job descriptions: inaba(at)recoveryplatform.org