International Recovery Forum 2017: Build Back Better Towards Resilient and Healthy Communities
Hotel Okura Kobe 2-1 Hatoba-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo
The International Recovery Platform (IRP) was established in 2005 as an international source of knowledge on good recovery practice. In 2015, following the adoption of the Sendia Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, IRP embraced a more specialized role as an international mechanism for sharing experience and lessons associated with build back better.
Health remains a critical disaster risk reduction (DRR) issue, and in recognition of this, health is now given greater emphasis in both the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The International Recovery Platform, in response to these new global frameworks, has reinvigorated its role to meaningfully discuss “Build Back Better” and learn more about actions for recovery, rehabilitation, and reconstruction. In this context, it is important to explore whether and how health considerations are taken into account in the recovery and reconstruction process.
The Forum 2017 is an opportunity to enhance sharing of experience and learning on “Build Back Better” towards resilient and healthy communities.
The objectives of the International Recovery Forum 2017 are:
- Explore how “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation, and reconstruction can be addressed in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Explore knowledge and understanding of “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation, and reconstruction through sharing of country experiences
- Explore strategies and actions on health in the context of “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation, and reconstruction
Date and Time:
24 January 2017 09:45-16:00
Hotel Okura Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
Report on the Forum:
"Thailand Flood and Government Initiative for a more Sustainable Recovery"
(1) H.E. General Anupong Paojinda, Minister of Interior, the Government of Thailand
“Lessons from the Kumamoto Earthquake of 2016 for Build Back Better”
(2) Mr. Yoshiaki Kawata, Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institution (DRI) (Slides)
Panel Discussion 1: Build Back Better for Resilient Community
(1) Mr. Yoshiaki Kawata, Executive Director, Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institute (DRI) and Professor at Graduate School of Societal Safety Sciences of Kansai University
(2) Mr. Jack Radisch, Senior Project Manager, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (Slides)
(3) Ms. Gerilee Bennett, Director, Interagency Coordination Division, Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Department of Homeland Security (FEMA)
Moderator: Mr. Stefan Kohler, Head of Programme, UNOPS
Panel Discussion 2: Integrating Health in Recovery
(1) Mr. James Newman, Head of the GEDRR DRM Hub in Tokyo, the World Bank (Slides)
(2) Dr. Hari Parajuli, Member, Executive Committee, National Reconstruction Authority, Nepal
(3) Mr. Shuichi Kasai, Member of the Board of Directors, Japan Pharmaceutical Association and Chairman of the Hyogo Pharmaceutical Society (Slides)
(4) Dr. Ryoma Kayano, WHO Centre for Health Development (Kobe Centre) (Slides)
Moderator: Ms. Setsuko Saya, Director, the Cabinet Office, Government of Japan